Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Network connectivity issues in VMware with UC products

If you are like me, then you probably have some type of home lab running the UC products such as CUCM, UCXN, CUPS, UCCX, etc, in either VMware Workstation or ESXi.  I have seen an issue on CUCM, but now almost everytime after I reboot UCCX 8.x and higher, I can't ping to or from the UCCX server.  From the CLI of the UCCX server, I can only ping it's eth0 address and can't ping anything else.  From other devices, I can't ping UCCX.  Rebooting doesn't help.  The only way I can get network connectivity is to run the set network status eth0 down command followed by the set network status eth0 up command.  After a few seconds, everything works just fine.

Anyone know how to get around this without having to take the eth0 interface down and up?

***ADDED ON 10/16/2011***
I had the same issue on CUPS when I upgraded to CUPS 8.6.1.10000-34.  I would lose network connectivity to the CUPS server in the VM.  From the console, I could the address I have on eth0, but can't ping it from the VMware host or gateway.  Unfortunately, the set network status eth0 down and up commands were unsuccessful to get it pinging again.  After reading through the CLI docs and typing a ? at the CLI and looking at the commands, this is what fixed it for me:


set network restore eth0 10.10.10.15 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1


Now, anytime I reboot the server, I lose connectivity and I always have to enter this command after the server comes back up in order to use it.

Thanks,
IPTBuzz

1 comment:

Ibrahim said...

Thanks!
"set network restore" command seems very useful in my case as set down/up is not always working.

Note: I found also upgrading VMWare tools have very good impact on solving this issue permanently.
command to upgrade:
utils vmtools upgrade
This may not be available on all UC products/versions, but it's a permanent solution.